Girl Days Are Good Days – Even If They Do Include The Easter Bunny

At Easter all the females, old and young in my family love making what we call “sherbet carnations”. We like to fill up vases with these flowers for Easter Sunday. They give our homes a warm and cheery feel. All you need to do this Easter craft is white carnations and food coloring. It is a simple way to add a little splash of color for spring.

First we gather up all the vases and glass bottles we will be placing the flowers in. The younger girls are given clear plastic cups to use just to be safe. We all sit around and talk while we fill the vases up with water. My mother always asks the younger girls what they are going to write in their Easter Bunny letters. They all flock to her side to tell her what their letters are going to say. She has always been a magnet to children.

My mom and my Aunts tell the girls what their moms had written in their letters to the Easter Bunny. My cousin Ruth always wrote funny letters to The Easter Bunny. Her mom told us about the time she asked The Easter Bunny to take her new baby brother back to wherever babies came from. We all got a good laugh out of that. I love when we get to relive happy old memories. It is so good when all of us girls get a chance to get together without any guys around.

After we get all of the vases filled with water we start to cut the flowers. You have to hold the flowers up to the vases to determine how much needs to be cut. Only the adults cut the stems. While we are cutting the flowers my mom shows the girls a letter to The Easter Bunny I wrote when I was little girl.

The next part is the girls’ favorite part of the day. They get to put the food coloring in the vases. The colored water in the vases seems to dance in the bright spring sun light. The girls make sure the water is turns bright vibrant color. After the water in the vases is colored the girls put the flowers into the water. Over a few days the flowers will absorb the dye in the water and become a pretty pastel color.

After our girl day of crafting sherbet carnations and girl talk my daughter was enthused about some of the things she had heard related to the olden days and letters to The Easter Bunny. My daughter called her grandma to tell her how much fun she had and that she loved her. She also told her all about what she was going to write in her letter to The Easter Bunny. My mom told her she was sure she would get a letter back from The Easter Bunny. My daughter went to bed that night so excited to mail off her letter. Not only that, but she was also looking forward to more ‘girl days’ and craft projects. It was another sign that my daughter was growing up.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment