A Magical Easter Weekend

How do you celebrate Easter? Thousands and thousands of families with children will include some of the traditional holiday activities. This includes spending time coloring Easter eggs, preparing special treats, writing letters to The Easter Bunny and of course playing Easter games and having a fabulous dinner.

Many people will begin Easter Sunday at church, but long before that time they will enjoy discovering what The Easter Bunny brought them the night before. This is especially true for kids.

I have found that if I want a holiday to turn out great I need to plan for it. So I am sharing with you my plans for Easter weekend 2011. 

One of my first concerns is what I will serve for Easter Sunday dinner. The traditional dishes I serve include baked ham, potato salad, candied yams, garden fresh green beans, and deviled eggs. But of course, I have a tendency to get carried away when I am preparing holiday meals.

One of my favorite dishes is peas with cheese. I prefer frozen peas. With that in mind a friend shared one of her recipes with me and I plan to try it out on Easter. You begin with 2 of the larger packages of frozen peas. 

You cook the peas according to directions. In the meantime you crumble up a cup ½ of your favorite snack crackers. This can be any kind at all, from the typical Ritz style crackers to wheat and herb flavors. Add 2 – 3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese to the crumbs and then mix in 2 – 3 melted tablespoons of butter.

After placing your prepared peas into a serving dish you simply use the crumbs to ‘frame’ the peas. This will be a quick and easy dish and I think it sounds delicious.
One other dish that will be on my menu is glazed carrots. 

I use the ‘baby carrots’ for this. Once they are cooked tender I drain off the liquid and I add my special glaze. To make it I simply mix 1 frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed), about ½ cup brown sugar, and 3 tablespoons butter in a skillet and heat until hot. Then I pour the mixture over the carrots and mix. This is a family favorite.
When it comes to desserts my rule is I have to have at least 3. I still haven’t decided what they will be.

One of my other priorities is to ensure that my craft box is well stocked. I know the younger kids will spend time writing letters to The Easter Bunny and creating holiday craft projects.

I also try to ensure that The Easter Bunny makes a stop at my house. That means I have to have whatever I need to create a beautiful Easter basket filled with lots of goodies. I generally use an oversized basket because I only prepare one and it is shared by everyone that visits my home during Easter.

Besides adding a few special decorative touches to my home and ensuring that everything is in order, that’s about all the preparation I do for Easter. My goal is to make sure that my friends and family visit, that they have a good time and have plenty to eat, and that even while focusing on Easter Bunny letters we keep in mind what the holiday is really about.
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment